The following is taken from an email circular released by the DfT:

The Department for Transport is seeking your views on changes being made and adopted as part of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement. These changes, already planned for Europe, will allow you to continue operating goods vehicles between the UK and EU.

New rules will apply next year for all UK individuals and businesses operating goods vehicles to, from and between EU countries. This includes light good vehicles, such as vans, on certain loaded international journeys.

Changes from February 2022

Hauliers operating loaded goods journeys in and between European Member States will need to share information via the EU’s Internal Market Information System. This includes details of the operator, driver, job, route taken, and vehicle used.

Changes from 21 May 2022

Operators of goods vehicles weighing over 2.5 tonnes and up to 3.5 tonnes in weight (either alone or when used with a trailer) that travel abroad on commercial journeys for hire and reward will need to hold a Standard International Operator Licence. To get an operator licence you will need to:

  • have a transport manager working in the business
  • provide information about the company’s financial situation and operating base in the UK
  • demonstrate that your vehicles are well maintained
  • pay £658 to apply for and be issued the licence
  • pay £401 every 5 years to keep your licence

If you don’t comply, you risk fines and other punitive measures in the European Union.

Give your views and evidence by 24 August.

Further details will follow about what you need to do, how and by when.

Leave a comment